This information has changed due to the covid-19 shutdown 
Please see this page for details

Q: What does Tāmaki Housing do?

A: Tāmaki Housing provides tenancy and property management services in Glen Innes, Panmure and Point England for Tāmaki Regeneration Company (TRC), which is jointly owned by the Government and Auckland Council.

Q: How is the Ministry for Social Development (MSD) involved?

A: MSD manages assessments for social housing and income-related rent, benefit and superannuation payments. They will review your tenancy every three years, or if you have had a significant change of circumstances, to ensure you still have a need to live in social housing, and if so, that the house still meets your needs.

If you have any questions, contact your tenancy manager.

Q: Can I have a pet?

A: Pets are not permitted to be kept at Tāmaki Housing properties unless you have a certified hearing or sight dog. Exceptions to this rule will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you would like to have a pet, talk to your tenancy manager to let them know first. All exceptions must be agreed to in writing.

Q: My home is cold – what can I do?

A: In accordance with the Health and Safety Act all Tāmaki Housing homes are equipped with a source of heating in the main living areas, however should you find your home being cold, ensure that it is well ventilated and not damp. Damp house are much harder to heat. Tenants are welcome to operate additional heaters when required but please ensure that you operate these safely.

Q: My house is mouldy – what do I do?

A: We encourage all tenants to keep their houses well ventilated and clean this helps to prevent mould. Mould will only occur in a house where there is moisture that has no way of draining or drying up. In the event that your house is damaged through mould please report this to your Tenancy manager.

Q: How do I contact Tāmaki Housing?

A: Tāmaki Housing tenants can contact us either via your tenancy manager or calling 0800 521 555

Q: I want to move to another Tāmaki Housing house?

A: There are circumstances when a property becomes unsuitable for your needs, this came happen when people either move in or out of your house. If you would like to discuss moving to another Tāmaki Housing house please contact your tenancy manager. Where it is appropriate either you or your tenancy manager will then contact MSD as MSD will decide if you are eligible to move to another property.

Q: My smoke alarms aren’t working – what do I do?

A: In the case of fire alarms not working please contact you tenancy manager.

As a landlord, Tāmaki Housing is required to comply with the Health and Safety Act and ensuring that each house is warm and dry, has an oven and a source of heating in the main living area. This also includes making sure that there are working smoke alarms. Please report anything that isn’t working to our maintenance team on 0800 521 555. Tāmaki Housing aims to always provide you with a safe home to live in.

Q: Can family and friends stay in my Tāmaki Housing home?

A: Having friends and family stay with you happens from time to time and Tāmaki Housing would like you to let us know when this happens so we know who is in the house. However, having extra people stay can make your house overcrowded. Overcrowding in houses can lead to health problems for tenants and safety issues within the house.

If people are staying long term, please contact your tenancy manager.

Q: Can I rent out a room in my Tāmaki Housing home?

A: Under the terms of your tenancy, your Tāmaki Housing home is for you to use. You must not rent out any room in your house. If you have any doubts about what you can or can’t do in your Tāmaki Housing house, please contact your tenancy manager.

Q: What is a joint tenancy?

A: This is where more than one person is named as a tenant. All the named tenants share the rights and obligations of the tenancy jointly. Joint tenants must understand they are taking on a shared responsibility for the whole tenancy. If you are in a joint tenancy and you have concerns or questions please contact your tenancy manager.

Q: I want to move out of my Tāmaki Housing house – who do I tell?

A: If you want to move out you need to give 21 days to your tenancy manager. Once you have given notice Tāmaki Housing will provide you a checklist to use in order to complete your final property inspection.

Q: My tenancy is reviewable – what does that mean?

A: The Ministry for Social Development (MSD) assesses eligibility for social housing. When you are placed into social housing MSD make a note to review, every three years, your eligibility for social housing. MSD will contact you directly when they review your tenancy – if you have any questions or would like your Tenancy manager to act as a support person during this process please contact your Tenancy manager.

Q: What if someone complains about me?

A: Tāmaki Housing can receive complaints about tenants from one of your neighbours, the police, the council or even an MP. We take all complaints seriously, but we know there are two sides to every story and will always talk to you as part of dealing with any complaint.

Q: What happens if I don’t tell MSD about a change in income?

A: Tāmaki Housing sets rents on the information that tenants provide and declare to be true. Declaring false information, or not declaring a change to that information can be fraud. Fraud can be where a person’s entitlement to a property or a particular level of rent is bought into question. Please speak to MSD first, if you have any question about this process, please contact your Tenancy manager.

Q: How do I complain about my neighbours?

A: If you are having trouble with your neighbours there are a number of things that can be done – it will depend on what the issue is. Please contact you tenancy manager and we can help you through this process.

Q: How do I complain about my tenancy manager?

A: If you are having difficulties with your tenancy manager please email Tāmaki Housing at info@tamakihousing.co.nz. Please make the title of your email “ATTN of the Area Manager”

Q: Who pays my water bills?

A: Tāmaki Housing currently pays all water rates. Your help in minimising these is appreciated. This, however, may be subject to change for some of our newer properties. If this changes for you, your Tenancy manager will be in touch.

Q: Will Tāmaki Housing be inspecting my house?

A: Tāmaki Housing will conduct a detailed inspection of your home when you move in and when you leave – the condition of the property when you leave will determine how much of your bond is returned to you. In addition to this Tāmaki Housing will inspect all properties every three months. Tāmaki Housing will give you 48 hours’ notice of when your house will be inspected.

Contact your tenancy manager if you have any questions about how an inspection is carried out.